Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Celeste Goes Green - how to bring back a bougainvillea

As I attempt to improve a hobby - gardening - and learn to incorporate eco-friendly practices in my yard. The big project will be to build a composting system. The smaller projects will include an herb garden and landscaping various beds. First on the list is bringing back a bougainvillea that took the worst of the winter. My 86-year-old mother-in-law told me to cut it down to the trunk before I uprooted it - it might come back. Sure enough, this week I saw the signature leaves at the trunk of the plant. She's a green gardener from way back so I am sure I will be bringing her up as the weeks go by.
The plant is coming back: you can see the small reddish leaves at the trunk.



From plant-care.comThis site talks about container bougainvillea but mine have been in the ground for about three years. For about a year, I have been putting coffee grounds and unbleached coffee filters around the root. I'd like to think this helped preserve or fortify the plant and helped it survive the tough Houston winter of 2010. My job now is to cut back the dead wood and let it begin to grow again. When I bought the plant it was probably about a foot tall. I wanted one after seeing a "hedge" of bougainvillea in California, at a home near the ocean. I believe it likes that kind of climate, but the site says it's a tropical and native to Brazil.

The plant was overgrown and the manicuring was neglected.
It's a good "fencing" plant because of the thorns, but can also be hazardous
.

I normally water bed plants about once a week but need to do that twice a week during the summer when it's hotter and drier. The site says to watch for wilting. During the summer I shower in our downstairs walk-in shower (recently renovated) and reclaim the runoff in two five-gallon pails. I use it on the container plants, especially in the summer when we go through dry spells. I came up with this after Hurricane Ike when water was even more precious. (eco-friendly point)

The freeze actually gives me a chance to reshape the bougainvillea because it had grown out of hand - thus the tough job of trimming it back, not to mention the thorny vines. I will try and pile the dead wood or use it in our fire pit for the next evening on the deck, since I haven't started my mulch project.
Another thing I will try is to trim it more often. I think I will get more flowers during the hot, sunny months when it thrives (as long as it gets enough water). I always wondered why a couple of other bougainvilleas along a nearby main street were always blooming. I learned this by trimming back the Wisteria in the front yard (that the girls wanted to cut down - more on them in another post). We trimmed it while clearing out all the winter deadness and it bloomed fully for the first time in years - duh.

The plant had overgrown on the house. I was trying to train it to the balcony
but neglected it during fast-growing times and an unruly plant was the result.

What I like about bougainvilleas are the bright pink blooms, especially during the summer, when everything else is stressed. I think keeping it shaped will help the manicured look as well.


This is what I hope my bougainvillea will look like one day.

Good luck to me. Remind me to write about the confederate jasmine. See you next time!